Can I get crimes for Aggravated Robbery (4 counts), and 2 counts of Burglary of a habitation, sealed or expunged?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

I spent 10 years flat in TDC for these crimes and am having a hard time finding employment. Is there statute on sealing this, or is there a way to get my record expunged/sealed? It has been 9 years since any convictions.

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

7

Answered . Unfortunately no. Convictions are permanent and cannot be sealed or expunged. The only ways to remove these cases from your record are both rare. You can try to get a pardon or you can try to have the cases overturned on a writ of habeas corpus (you would need to consult an appellate attorney on a writ).

2. Carmine John Giardino

7

Answered . No

3. Paul Holt Walcutt

6

Answered . No. Offenses that resulted in either prison/jail time or straight probation can never be expunged, sealed, nor do they drop off your record after any period of time. A pardon would seem to be the only method of relief for you. You can talk to a local lawyer, but be forewarned: they are very, very difficult to obtain. Be wary of a lawyer who tells you otherwise.

4. David Daniel White

Pro

6

Answered . I agree with the previous answers. Last time I checked, an average of about 4% of pardon applications were granted by the board last year.

Law Office of David D. White, PLLC
    1205 Rio Grande St.
    Austin, TX 78701
    (512) 369-3737

5. David B. Frank

Pro

6

Answered . I'm afraid you may be saddled with these convictions. If you spent time in prison for these felonies then you have final convictions which can neither be sealed nor expunged.