Can I get compensation ,for a negliant blood transfusion,contracted hiv virus,through the procedure

Savannah, GA |

had a blood transfusion,for another illness,during procedure,i was incubated ,with the hiv virus,now I am spending a lot of money ,for new medical problems,associated with hiv virus

1. This is very unusual. You should be prepared to show the causal connection to your transfusion and to be able toe linage other potential causes. Contact a local lawyer.

2. First of all, I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately this is not the best forum to evaluate specific cases. Medical malpractice cases are some of the most complicated cases, both substantively and procedurally to pursue in Georgia. For you to recover, an expert in the specific medical specialty would have to sign a statement under oath saying that a specific healthcare provider breached the standard of care for that profession. That means the provider either did something a reasonable provider would not do, or failed to do something a reasonable provider would have done in the same situation. The only way to assess that is to have your medical records reviewed by an attorney who practices in this area. We all offer free consultations and most of us practice across the state so you have nothing to lose by calling and having your records reviewed. Depending on the responsible party, you may have as little as 6 months to preserve your claim, so you should have that conversation sooner rather than later. Good luck and i hope you are able to live in the best health possible.

The initial consultation is always free. This post is intended to provide general guidance, and should not be construed as legal advice. While I am an attorney, unless we sign a retainer agreement, I am not your attorney, and any information shared on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it.

3. This could be a viable claim. Consult with an experienced GA medical malpractice attorney.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.

4. You should immediately contact a local medical malpractice wrongful death attorney so that you can discuss the detailed facts of the matter. You should make an appointment with specialist to check your conditions and make causal connection. Your medical records would also need to reviewed by experts to make a determination whether or not the virus was transmitted during the blood transfusion. You can run a "Find a Lawyer" search here on Avvo to locate attorneys in the jurisdiction where the wrongful acts are alleged to have occurred. Act now.

5. You would likely have recourse from the contaminated blood by pursuing claims against manufacturer at minimum. Avvo has a great "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney (10) with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

6. In order for you to be able to have a viable claim, an attorney would need to be able to prove that the blood transfusion is what caused you to get the virus; all other potential causes would have to be ruled out (other blood transfusions, sexual contact with someone who is HIV positive, drug use, occupational exposure, etc.). Because there are time limits in which to bring a medical malpractice lawsuit, I would recommend that you contact a lawyer in your State who is knowledgeable about medical malpractice cases as soon as possible to evaluate your potential claims.

Kimberly W. Grant
    kgrant@waynegrant.com
    404-995-3953