Can i get child support if my sons father is on ssi?

Asked over 4 years ago - Clementon, NJ

My sons father is on ssi, will i still be able to get child support from him?..He is always telling me it;s impossible but i don't believe him.

1. Aniello David Cerreto

Answered . Contact social security yourself, if he is on SSI your children may qualify for their own social security. Legally in NJ the children are entitled to receive the higher of social security or the NJ guideline child support and often the SS is higher. Don't wait, take a trip to your local office.

2. Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Pro

Answered . The benefits will count toward child support from the other parent.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.