Can I get Child Support?

Stone Mountain, GA |

I have a baby by a man who is married. He has 3 kids with wife and another child with someone else. I believe he is paying child suppport to the other woman. He knows I have a child by him but acts as if I do not. I am not receiving any money from him. I want to file for child support but I do not want him in return to file for any type of custody of my baby. My baby is young and I do not trust him or his wife. His wife does not know about me. Would I be able to get much child support from him and does he have any chance of getting any type of custody?

Generally you should be able to accomplish this through your office of child support enforcement. After paternity is established he could seek visitation rights.

I am only licensed in Arkansas. No part of this answer should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship.

You certainly can seek child support through the state child support office. Since you gave us no financial information, there's no way to answer how much.

As for custody, anything is possible, but he'd have to go to court and file to legitimize the child, and given the likely consequences to his marriage, he may not. No one here is a mindreader to know what he might seek. If he seeks any rights, see a lawyer.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

I agree with my colleagues. You can get child support from him but, without more information, it is impossible to tell you how much. Given that he has other children, more work may be involved to determine what he pays for his other child and his expenses for the children with his Wife because, depending on the circumstances, he may get a credit for those payments which may decrease his child support obligation to you. If you only go for child support, he does not have legal rights to the child. However, it is possible that after you ask for child support, he will file to legitimate to get legal rights and ask for parenting time and potentially custody.

Child custody topics