Can I get arrested or have my pay garnished for not paying alimony in NJ.

Asked almost 5 years ago - Clifton, NJ

The alimony my ex is requesting is too high for me to pay. Can I be arrested for not paying.

1. Ronald Anthony Sarno

Answered . Usually arrest is limited to failure to pay child support. IF the ex makes a motion to enforce litigant's rights for your failure to obey a court order, and IF it includes a request for incarceration for contempt of court, and IF the court decides to incarcerate you, then you can be arrested. If there has been a change in financial circumstances, you can motion the court which issued the order to modify it. Doing nothing invites the ex to file her motion for contempt of court.
    On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:

Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
    Legal terms used in litigation………………………………………………………..

Divorce in General and How It's Handled in New Jersey
    Financial Dos and Don'ts after a Divorce (written by Attorney Gabriel Cheong)

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.