Can I get arrested for something I didn't do?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Pottsville, PA

I got in trouble for stealing in the past but I learned my lesson and moved on. Now my ex-employer thinks I stole from his store and is trying to get me arrested for it.. Plus I am already on ARD and I'm afraid that if he presses charges because of my past I could get my ARD revoked and put on normal probation..

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Ellis B. Klein


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Anyone can be arrested. The real question is whether they have enough proof. DO NOT speak with anyone about the case without an attorney present.
    Good luck

  2. Charles Thomas Jr.

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . If there is a complainant and the police believe there is enough of a case to go forward, then of course you can be arrested for it.

    Whether you did something or not is a fact question to be established at trial. Whether you can be accused of stealing something is a very different matter.

  3. Christopher G. Bokas

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . They really need some evidence other than a hunch to arrest you for theft. If they actually arrest you, however, you could probably knowck it out at the preliminary hearing if the evidence is scant.



  4. Jeffrey B. Lampert


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You can be arrested for something you did not do. The Duke LaCrosse team players were arrested and look what happened there. And not only that, look at all of the people who are being released from prison because of the Project Innocence program that is using DNA to get tested in cases where the tests were not as sophisticated then as they are now.

    You should immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney. Often, intervention by an experienced and respected criminal defense attorney can slow law enforcement agencies or
    prosecutors office down before rushing to judgment. And if you still wind up getting charged and/or arrested, you will have someone in your corner right away instead of your being stuck behind bars while trying to find a lawyer.

    I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,095 answers this week

2,949 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,095 answers this week

2,949 attorneys answering