Can i get arrested for slander for calling my boss names in a text?

Asked over 1 year ago - Delray Beach, FL

She owes me 485$ for work i did for her and refuses to pay.so i called her some names on a text

1. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

4

Answered . People are not arrested for slander in the United States.

If this is a wage dispute, contact your State Labor Department for assistance in getting paid.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  2. Paul T Zeniewicz

3

Answered . No. You can't be arrested for calling your boss names. However, you'll want to be careful that your name calling doesn't rise to the level of harrassment. My suggestion would be to bring an action in small claims for your past due wages.

3. Sean Michael Patrick

4

Answered . No. You cannot get arrested for slander. The better way to handle this situation is small claims court. Best of luck.

Pro

4

Answered . No, but be careful not to harass her. Go to small claims court.

5. Dennis Michael Phillips

1

Answered . Look for attorneys that handle unpaid wages and unpaid overtime in Palm Beach County. There are several. Let them guide you. I don't think small claims is the proper venue to address your federal claim.