Can i get arrested for slander for calling my boss names in a text?

Delray Beach, FL |

She owes me 485$ for work i did for her and refuses to pay.so i called her some names on a text

1. No. You cannot get arrested for slander. The better way to handle this situation is small claims court. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

2. People are not arrested for slander in the United States.

If this is a wage dispute, contact your State Labor Department for assistance in getting paid.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. No, but be careful not to harass her. Go to small claims court.

4. No. You can't be arrested for calling your boss names. However, you'll want to be careful that your name calling doesn't rise to the level of harrassment. My suggestion would be to bring an action in small claims for your past due wages.

5. Look for attorneys that handle unpaid wages and unpaid overtime in Palm Beach County. There are several. Let them guide you. I don't think small claims is the proper venue to address your federal claim.

Dennis Phillips is an attorney and financial planner based in South Florida. He is a member of the Florida bar, he holds the nation-wide Series 65 Investment Advisor license, and holds an insurance license in Florida and Virginia. Disclaimer: The response above is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, would significantly alter the above response.