Can I get arrested for shoplifting if I'm 14?

Asked about 1 year ago - Fairfield, CT

I'm 14 and I got caught shoplifting in jcpenney by security, they asked me a lot of questions and I was with my father so they called my mom also. Later, they called the cops and gave me a court date. I stold to pairs of earrings btw. My court date is tomarrow and I'm sooo scared... What's going to happen? Am I going to get arrested?? Help please!!

1. Christopher Thomas DeMatteo

Pro

2

Answered . I handle plenty of juvenile delinquency cases in Connecticut, which is what your case is. You essentially have already been arrested. I would guess the charge is Larceny 6 (theft of goods/services valued at $500 or less) which is a misdemeanor. Although that is a criminal charge, you will proceed in juvenile court because of your age and the nature of the charges. The first court event is an arraignment. The court will advise you of your rights and the charge before you and then enter a pro forma denial (basically a Not Guilty plea). There are a lot of things that can happen from there, including the dropping of your charges (a nolle). You may qualify for a public defender. You may also hire an attorney. Feel free to e-mail or call me for more information. Also, check out my website.

2. Thomas E. Mccabe

Pro

2

Answered . Hope it went well, but feel free to contact me, or have your father contact me, to work out the best possible scenario for you. Regards, Thomas McCabe (attymccabe@gmail.com)

3. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

2

Answered . Arrested? You already been cited and apparently charged with a crime. It's unlikely that you will go to jail, but you might want to go tomorrow and ask for the public defender and/or ask for more time to get an attorney.