Can I get arrested for making comments on a blog?

Philadelphia, PA |

I posted some not-so-nice comments on a blog about a girl who is currently a working actress (I don't know her personally but I know people who do). Bottom line, I called her a bitchy snob and stated I knew of a time she threw a beer on someone. I can not remove the comments because I posted them anonymously (or I would). However, I am now concerned she may take legal action against me or sue me for defamation of character. Is this possible and would she have grounds to do so? The comments were posted on a public blog run by someone else - not her own personal site/blog.

1. If there was libelous content, and she wanted to pursue this, she could easily ascertain your identity by getting a subpeona for your identity from the internet provider. Best not to post bad stuff.

The answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

Only 29% fee deducted.

Lassen Law Firm
    1515 Market St #1510
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    215-510-6755
    http://www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

2. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, New Jersey or Federal law apply, unless otherwise specified.

That being said, defamation usually does not lead to criminal charges or arrest; that would require significantly more than saying mean things about a person. Could she sue you? If your statement was untrue and it tended to lessen her reputation in the community, maybe she can sue. Merely saying she dumped a beer on someone isn't worth suing over, though. In today's idiocracy where any publicity is good publicity, it probably enhanced her standing rather than reduced it.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at the below address(es) or telephone number.

/Christopher E. Ezold/
    The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
    One Belmont Avenue,
    Suite 501
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
    (610) 660-5585
    Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com
    www.ezoldlaw.com

3. You ask two questions. Certainly, she could sue if you made defamatory remarks. She could even sue if you just posted opinion, and your lawyers might prevail over her lawyers, many dollars later. If you made no threats, i cannot see a basis for criminal charges, and so no arrest. You may want to take a year or two off the Internet until you arrive at a more even-handed way with dealing with gossip. Or, you could just not gossip.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.