Can I get arrested and charged if I shoplifted if there weren't enough evidence?

Asked about 1 year ago - Salt Lake City, UT

Can I get charged for shoplifting if no one saw me stealing and that there were no evidence and no one saw me, no camera. but the security guard saw my shopping bag has groceries with no receipt on it? if the items were just food.

1. Dain Smoland

1

Answered . Yes, you can be arrested and charged with a crime whether there is weak evidence or strong evidence, because that decision is made only by the law enforcement officer (arrest) and by the prosecutor (charges). The strength of the evidence is reviewed by the judge at the Preliminary Hearing (if you are charged with a Class A Misdemeanor or above), and of course at the trial.

If you end up getting charged for a crime, you should talk to a local criminal defense attorney. Most will give you a free consultation about your case. Good luck.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . Yes.