Can I get an SIS expunged from my record sooner than 10 years after the offense?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Saint Louis, MO

I am graduating from nursing school soon & will be applying for jobs & I really can't stand the thought of losing job opportunities because I have to say I pled guilty to my dumb mistake-DWI. Especially since I probably do better things for man kind than a lot of non-criminals out there. Also, my lawyer at the time said that even when my record is expunged in 10 years I will still have to report my SIS & that I pled guilty to a misdemeanor on job applications because the medical field has a more extensive background check than most professions (like the record the judge will pull up to use against me if I ever do anything criminal ever again). Is this true? It's so unfair that one mistake in your life could cost you everything for the rest of your life & theres nothing that can ever fix it

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Answered . Expungement is not quite right in your situation as you technically do not have a conviction (as a plea resulting in an SIS is not a conviction). There are some considerations regarding licensure and employment issues. There are also some issues that could impact your driving license in the future that you should consider. You should contact an attorney who can advise you on what you must report versus what you do not need to, as well as what your options are with respect to your record and your license.

    My answer to your question is based upon the limited facts provided by you and is subject to revision and change.... more
  2. Answered . The law regarding expungement has not changed. You can get a 1st time DWI expunged, but only after 10 years have passed, and only if you have had no other misdemeanors or felonies during that 10-year period.

    The answers submitted on AVVO by The Rogers Law Firm, LLC d/b/a are for informational... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

35,266 answers this week

3,848 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

35,266 answers this week

3,848 attorneys answering