Skip to main content

Can I get an extension on my community service hours?

Winston-salem, NC |

I am currently in the process of trying to complete the terms of my deferred prosecution (50 hours) but currently I only have 32. I have been trying to get up with my assigned coordinator for three weeks now but she has been in curt. They are due next Tuesday. I am on full scholarship having to maintain a 3.5 GPA and very stressed from trying to cram hours and school (exams are near) into my schedule? Is there a way to get a week or two extension?

Attorney Answers 2


It is not unusual to get an extension where you have made a good effort (here 64%) and have tried to keep in touch with you coordinator. Five hours a day over Thanksgiving would do it. Keep checking in with your coordinator.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


Probably. I suggest speaking with the lawyer who helped you get into the program about asking for an extension. It's fairly common to make these requests and they are often granted to folks who have made a good effort at complying with the requirements. The closer you are to completing the hours, the better your chances of being granted the additional time.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics