Can I get an extension for completion of DUI classes/fees before due date? Or will I be sent to jail for probation violation?

Asked 8 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I received my DUI in California, but I got permission to complete my classes in New York (where I moved for work). Since that time, the company I worked for went under and I was unemployed for a few months so I was unable to attend/pay for classes. I have since found a new job and restarted my program, but I won't be able to finish by the original due date. I also won't have enough to pay all of the fines.

Since I am appearing 1 month before the actual due date, how likely is it that I will be able to get an extension? I have not previously asked for an extension either. How likely is it that I will be sent to jail for probation violation even though the due date hasn't arrived?

Thank you!

1. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

4

Answered . Smart move on your part. The court should grant you an extension to complete classes and pay fine.

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY
  2. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

4

Answered . The smart way to work this is to retain an attorney to walk this in on your behalf as soon as you can because with your story of hardship it is quite possible to get the extension you need. The longer you wait the less likely it will be granted. By having an attorney do this on your behalf will likely be less expensive than an airline ticket. Further, the fact that you are not present will keep you from being remanded. Moreover, an attorney can appear on your behalf for a misdemeanor pursuant to Penal Code Section 977. Good luck.

3. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

3

1

Answered . You're wise to be proactive on this. Too many people wait until the last day or (even worse) miss the deadline. With documentation and you addressing this early, I don't anticipate a judge having an issue giving you an extension. Make your request ASAP son you aren't a last minute person.

4. Michael David Kern

3

Answered . Typically, the court will grant an extension. However, to make sure you have not missed anything from your guilty plea, hire an attorney to guide you through the process.