Skip to main content

Can I get an extension for completion of DUI classes/fees before due date? Or will I be sent to jail for probation violation?

Los Angeles, CA |

I received my DUI in California, but I got permission to complete my classes in New York (where I moved for work). Since that time, the company I worked for went under and I was unemployed for a few months so I was unable to attend/pay for classes. I have since found a new job and restarted my program, but I won't be able to finish by the original due date. I also won't have enough to pay all of the fines.

Since I am appearing 1 month before the actual due date, how likely is it that I will be able to get an extension? I have not previously asked for an extension either. How likely is it that I will be sent to jail for probation violation even though the due date hasn't arrived?

Thank you!

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You're wise to be proactive on this. Too many people wait until the last day or (even worse) miss the deadline. With documentation and you addressing this early, I don't anticipate a judge having an issue giving you an extension. Make your request ASAP son you aren't a last minute person.

    The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

  2. Smart move on your part. The court should grant you an extension to complete classes and pay fine.


  3. The smart way to work this is to retain an attorney to walk this in on your behalf as soon as you can because with your story of hardship it is quite possible to get the extension you need. The longer you wait the less likely it will be granted. By having an attorney do this on your behalf will likely be less expensive than an airline ticket. Further, the fact that you are not present will keep you from being remanded. Moreover, an attorney can appear on your behalf for a misdemeanor pursuant to Penal Code Section 977. Good luck.

    The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

  4. Typically, the court will grant an extension. However, to make sure you have not missed anything from your guilty plea, hire an attorney to guide you through the process.

DUI court topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics