Skip to main content

Can I get an anullment for a civil marriage?

Hollywood, FL |

Got married at the courthouse 2 months ago. Is a lawyer necessary to get an anullment? Is it possible to do on my own? Is it faster and less costly to get an annulment vs a divorce. We do not have any assets together. No children.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

I found the above link to be informative

Most people are not fully aware of the effect their legal case will have on their Financial & Estate Plan. I welcome the opportunity to discuss your unique situation with you so that you will know the financial impact that your case may have. You may find more information in articles, videos, and blog entries on my website Disclaimer: The response above is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, would significantly alter the above response.



Thank you dennis. I was lied to everything that was agreed to prior to marrying was accepted prior to marrying after moving in and getting married my spouse changed everything and made up new rules and expected me to obide by


Typically, it is always much easier to get a divorce than an annulment. You can only get an annulment if there was some sort of major fraud or deception involved. A divorce can be filed simply because you no longer want to be married. Check with your local courthouse to see if they have a self help department that sells divorce forms. Otherwise, you may want to consult with an attorney to assist you in properly finalizing things.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements.

A J. Williams

A J. Williams


I couldn't agree more!


You probably need a divorce. Annulments are for void marriages or on religious grounds.


Ms. Mitchell, as usual, has hit the answer on the head. A divorce is much easier than an annulment. To het an annulment, you must prove your marriage is void or voidable, which is the equivalent of saying the marriage is illegal. "Illegal" includes things like marrying your own sibling or being already married at the time you got married. It has nothing to do with the marriage only lasting two months. A two-month marriage requires a divorce. On top of that, annulment is a complex legal procedure. Simplified divorce is pretty easy. You should probably file for divorce.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!


Annulment is almost completely a myth nowadays. If I recall, it allowed observant Catholics to "get divorced" and was created by the papacy. Regardless, I can't believe that it would ever be more efficient than getting divorced in Florida based on Chapter 61. Just get divorced.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.


Yes you can do it on your own. Are you in Broward or Miami Dade county? In Miami Dade, there is a 4 month wait if you are self help and you still have to pay a few hundred dollars for the kit. If you want it done fast, hire an attorney. It will not cost you that much. Check out my website if you have any questions.

You can reach the Law Office of Richard S. Chizever, P.A. at (305) 974-1580 or Richard S. Chizever, Esq. is a family law attorney licensed in the state of Florida. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Richard S. Chizever or the Law Office of Richard S. Chizever, P.A. and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer