Skip to main content

Can i get an annulment under the grounds of marriage under false pretense?

New Port Richey, FL |

Married childhood sweetheart 11 years ago, four months into marriage found out he was gay. Immediately moved back to my hometown in Fl from Tn (got married in Fl.) He promised to divorce me but still hasnt. I am in poor health and am in need of assistance/health care, Can not afford lawyer. Do i have options? By the way we never consimated our marriage. Thank you for your time.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Consummation is irrelevant to annulment, contrary to popular belief. You could normally get an annulment on the grounds of fraud, given that he's gay, but I agree with the other attorney. Eleven years is too long a marriage for a judge to grant an annulment. You'll need to get a divorce.

    The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

  2. I am sorry that you are going through this, most likely 11 years is too long, and you would need a stronger argument than consumation as that is not a proper ground, however fraud it. I woudl just file a divorce, take care unless there is an immigration component then please investigate further.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

  3. You have been married too long under these circumstances to qualify for an annullment. Just get a divorce. Contact my office for free consultation. 727-446-7659.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics