Can I get an annulment of my marriage?

Greenville, SC |
Filed under: Annulment of marriage

I recently found out that my spouse has suffered from clinical depression since childhood. This was never brought to my attention prior to the marriage and only came about in the last year. (have been married 3 years total). She never told me that she had been diagnosed with clinical depression. She has been taking prescription pills for her depression, but she told me they were for ADHD instead. She has been abusive (physically and emotionally) since the actual marriage. I always felt it was just part of getting to know each other in our new lives, but as it turns out, she has had this mental illness that she kept a secret from me. Can I get my marriage annulled as a result of this newly discovered information?

No, I seriously doubt that you would get an annulment.

This response is for informational purposes only and is not intended to convey detailed legal advice on any specific issue. Transmission of the information contained in this response is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The Law Office of John A. Jackson only practices law where properly authorized to do so and does not seek to represent anyone in any other jurisdiction. This site does not make use of any secure encryption technology, and any transmissions to the Law Office of John A. Jackson may be intercepted by third-parties. DO NOT send us any information that you regard as privileged or confidential. John A. Jackson is licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. You should not act upon the information contained herein without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

I am sorry, but given the facts it is doubtful that you would qualify.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

There are several factors that provide for an annulment but I do not believe this would qualify under any of them.

Recommended articles about Divorce