Skip to main content

Can I get alimony permanently?

Lincoln Park, NJ |
Filed under: Alimony

I was married 25 years. Husband divorced me last year. Went into court with no attorney (had no money). Only agrred to 5 years alimony of $100 weekly. He is currently $5000 behind. Question, can I change the order for alimony to permanent being that this was a long term marriage? We have a current court date thru probation coming up. Alimony goes thru probation.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. You should petition the court to have ex pay your legal fees,and you might get permanent alimony if you use counsel.

    You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful.
    (Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

    You might find Gabriel Cheong’s legal guide on the do and don’t of finances after a divorce helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on divorce in general and in NJ helpful.
    (Much of this information is valid for unmarrieds who have children together).

    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics