Can i get a working permit or a green card and how long will it take

Asked over 1 year ago - Baltimore, MD

I am an f1 and have been in status since 2010, i am planning to marry my fiancée, who is a permanent resident and will be applying for her citizenship September of next year.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . Yes you can, when you get a Green Card application filed which will not happen sooner than about 3 years from the point your spouse would have received an approval of the I-130 on your behalf or become a USC, whichever comes first.

2. Tracie Lynn Klinke

3

Answered . Since your finance is a LPR and not a citizen, you cannot file your green card application at the same time you file your I-130. The work card is connected to the green card application, so you won't be able to apply for your work card through your marriage right away.
    However, if you wait to apply until she is a US citizen, you can apply for everything at once and that will include your work card. From the time you file to the time you receive the work card is approximately three months.
    It may be worth it to talk to an attorney about the timing and your family's particular situation before you file anything.

This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  3. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . You will need to maintain status as you will not be able to get permanent residence until your spouse is a US citizen or your priority date has become current.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.