Can I get a warrant out to arrest a car salesman who kept my security deposit?

Asked over 1 year ago - Luray, VA

Through a long process, a car dealership still has $1,000 of mine that I put down as a deposit to hold a vehicle in case I wanted to purchase it later. I came back to get my money (it was paid for with my bank card). They then took my card to a back room, claimed they swiped it for the refund and gave me my receipt.. Said to wait 2-3 days. 3 weeks later I still didn't have my money. I went back a few days ago, and when they went to refund it again they actually charged me another $1,000 by "accident" and then voided the transaction. Now they have $2,000 of mine. They claim they are working on getting it back into my account, and that in the mean time there is nothing they can do. I was told I could get a warrant b/c they have my money yet I have no vehicle from them. Is this true?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I think you should contact police, who MAY treat the matter as a theft. They may also decide that it's a civil matter and tell you to sue the dealer.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice before the state and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,362 answers this week

3,134 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,362 answers this week

3,134 attorneys answering