Can I get a VC 23153(b) FELONY DUI from 1990 expunged or removed so I will not have to acknowledge it to potential employers?

Asked over 5 years ago - Sacramento, CA

20 years ago I was the DRUNK DRIVER admittedly. On a first offense with no priors I spent 13 days in the hospital,did 4 months in jail afterward, had my license taken for a year and had 3 years probation whew. I have not had any offences since then. My conscience won't allow me to lie on an application ( it is 20 yrs. old) but I want a better job and some employers won't give me the time of day whence they know, so what option is there? I've lived in Arizona now for 17 years.
Thanx in advance :)

1. George Fredrick Mueller

1

Best Answer

Answered . First it may have to be reduced to a misdemeanor. What is a DUI Expungement?

A DUI expungement is a legal process that petitions the Court to review a DUI-related conviction to determine:

•If the term of probation was successfully completed & concluded;
    •That all fines, restitution and reimbursement ordered by the court have been paid and everything ordered by the court was completed in a timely manner;
    •That the petitioner is not now on probation for another offense;
    •That the petitioner has no new pending cases;

The Court then may allow the petitioner to withdraw his or plea or finding of guilt or no contest, and thereafter orders the case dismissed.

How does this help me?

Expungement law (Penal Code Section 1203.4) provides in part:

"[Petitioner shall]...be permitted by the court to withdraw his or her plea of guilty or plea of nolo contendere and enter a plea of not guilty; or, if he or she has been convicted after a plea of not guilty, the court shall set aside the verdict of guilty; and, in either case, the court shall thereupon dismiss the accusations or information against the defendant and except as noted below, he or she shall thereafter be released from all penalties and disabilities resulting from the offense of which he or she has been convicted, except as provided..."

What about applying for jobs?

•If Private Employers ask if you have every been convicted of a crime, you generally can respond with "NO".
    •(Each question is different so please first contact an attorney before answering any specific question, in every case and for every form.)
    •On questions by Government Employers or Government Licensing Applications if you are asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime, you must disclose the expunged case.
    What doesn't a DUI Expungement do?

Your dismissed DUI conviction can still be used to increase your punishment in future DUI cases. The offense is "priorable".

•It can still be used to enhance penalties & increase punishment should you get another DUI.
    •It can be used to try to put you in jail or increase the length of a DMV suspension.
    Does this erase all records and destroy the Court file?

No. An expungement

•the disposition of the case to reflect a dismissal under 1203.4 of the Penal Code. This means the Court file, the California Department of Justice, and the FBI update their files to show the case has been ordered dismissed by the Court.

Will I need to go to Court?

No. I handle all Court work for you.

How Long Does A DUI Expungement Take?

Misdemeanors: Most expungements for misdemeanors take between 4 to 6 weeks to complete from the time the application is filed. This does not include the time needed to research all records and process the application. The more prepared you are as to the information needed (Case number, date of birth, conviction date, probation length, Vehicle Code charge number, and San Diego county court location) the quicker the application can be processed. If it is necessary to search the court records for information, it may take additional time.

Why Expunge my record? Why spend the money?

There are a number of reasons to do so such as employment or licensing. However, at least half our clients want to expunge their record as final "closure" on an old mistake- just for peace of mind.

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware this page is NOT a comprehensive analysis of all expungement law, types of answers to types of questions asked, or of all types of remedies that may be available to you. This is NOT intended to be legal advice, and a consultation with an Attorney is always first recommended and before answering any question.

2. Edward Jerome Blum

Answered . If you were plead guilty to a felony, were given probation and successfully completed the probation you may be eligible for either a certificate of rehabilitation or a reduction to misdemeanor and expungement.

Edward J. Blum

3. Lynn Gorelick

Answered . Mr. Mueller has presented all of the important issues for you to consider. I would strongly suggest you hire an attorney to petition the court for a possible reduction to a misdemeanor and subsequent motion to withdraw your plea. It will serve you well to have this handled appropriately.