Can I get a ticket for failure to yield to an emergency vehicle if a police office did not witness the incident?

Asked 8 months ago - Denver, CO

See question.

Should I just wait to see if I receive a citation in the mail?

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

6

Answered . John is correct. Understand that most violations or tickets are assessed for incidents that the police do not observe themselves. Almost all careless and reckless driving incidents are not observed by the police. And of course, much more serious criminal offenses such as rapes, child sexual assault, and murders rarely take place in front of other people, much less police officers. So, if they have other witnesses and evidence to support the charges, there is no obligation for them to have observed the incident.

2. John Lawrence Buckley

5

Answered . Yes.

Other witnesses can provide the needed testimony to prove such a charge.

However, witnesses can be cross examined and their testimony/recall can be challenged.

You should consult with a criminal defense attorney to discuss your options.

Best of luck to you.

John Buckley
    Denver Criminal Defense

3. Richard Todd Rosenstein

4

Answered . You can receive a ticket for failure to yield to an emergency vehicle even if the police did not witness the violation. You could also plead not guilty to the violation and contest the citation in court.