Can I get a summary judgment after default?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

My understanding is that entry of default prohibits defendants from defending the case anymore, and it is followed by a default judgment. However, a default judgment implies that defendants never defended, and a default judgment can be hard to collect on internationally. In our case, defendants defended for years, and then defaulted after discovery and the admission of quite a bit of evidence. So if we just get a default judgment, we are cheated to some extent, because we get a judgment that is less collectible. If I get an entry of default against defendants, can I then move for summary judgment and show the court that the evidence admitted so far is enough for summary judgment?

1. If you have an attorney, discuss this with him/her. One would really need to know where internationally you plan on trying to collect. The Hague convention has provisions dealing with default judgments procured without notice, which would not be applicable here.

The rules governing attorneys prevent any attorney on this site from contacting a potential client on an unsolicited basis. This means if you are interested in hiring an attorney or further discussing a case you must make first contact with the attorney whether via email or phone. The information provided is not legal advice and no attorney client relationship will arise based upon this information. If you decide to retain an attorney a separate discussion regarding your rights will have to occur. Do not rely on any of the information provided in deciding whether or not to act. David Fraser disclaims any liability for actions that are taken by individuals based upon the information provided. CONSULT AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR JURISDICTION BEFORE TAKING ANY LEGAL ACTION. Florida Bar Disclosure: The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide on an attorney, ask him/her to send you free written information about his/her qualifications and experience.