Skip to main content

Can i get a student visa to puerto rico while living in the United States ever since i was 9 finished my high school here?

Sterling, VA |

Hi my name is Kathia Maradiaga i am 19 years old and i was granted deffered action have my work permit, ssn and drivers license now. I want to study in Puerto Rico in la universidad adventista de las antillas, they told me that i cannot study unless i am a permanent resident however they told me i can get a student visa f-1 until my status changes. My question might be silly. My 18th birthday is on November 4th which means i was here illegally for 9 months. Can i actually get a visa to study in puerto rico while living in Virginia US?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


PR is a US territory and as such subject to US immigration laws. Whatever the perception the college personnel has in PR (I have my own pet peeve regarding University personal giving out immigration law advice on daily basis) to change status to that of a foreign student you need to be in a valid non immigrant status at the time of the application.; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.


I agree with Attorney Segal.

Disclaimer: The information provided here is generalized and should not be relied upon as legal advice. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.


A requirement for an F-1 student visa is an unrelinquished foreign (outside US) residence to which you intend to return. This is incompatible with DACA, which requires residing in the U.S. I see no way you can qualify for an F-1 visa unless you leave the U.S. and set up residence in your home country, but then you would give up your DACA and would be subject to the 3 year bar for unlawful presence over 6 months.

This general information does not establish any attorney-client relationship. There may well be factors not mentioned in the question which could and should be addressed in an attorney consultation.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer