Can I get a stipulation agreement for an uncontested divorce from the public archives?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I need to write a stipulation agreement for my uncontested divorce. Is there a way I can get a copy of divorce file from the public records office, and at least have a sample of something that I can draft for my own. I want to make sure the format the layout and correct wording are used to the first time.

1. Daniel Seth Williams

Pro

5

Answered . You could, but I would be weary of any attorney that did NOT tell you to do so would be against their legal advice. If you have the time to go to the file room and look for one and copy it, then you should better utilize that time with the court self-help desk that can steer your case more properly as it relates to your case specific facts. Copying one from someone else's divorce is not advised because there may be clauses included or excluded that are unique to that case.

After you are finished with the self-help, I would see if you can pay for an attorney to review it. It would me in your best interest to do so.

2. Regina Powers Hunter

Pro

6

Answered . In theory you can. Consider the fact other variable may play a role.

Gina Hunter

3. Donald Frederick Conviser

3

Answered . What are the terms of your settlement? What you would write in a Stipulated Judgment (or MSA) would depend upon the specific terms of your settlement. Once you write down the terms of your settlement and review them with your spouse to ensure that they are agreed upon, you could hire an experienced Family Law Attorney on an Unbundled Services basis to prepare a Stipulated Judgment (which is preferable to an MSA because it cuts out an additional step) and a Judgment Package to be filed. If you can't afford a lawyer, go to your Court's Self-Help Clinic and obtain assistance from a Volunteer Lawyer.

4. Edna Carroll Straus

1

Answered . You say "used to the first time"--this makes me think this may be a modification of an existing judgement. If it is, you may or may not need to see the existing wording. But yes, you can access your file. Take the case number (if possible) and go to the court and look it up. If it is not too old it will be in the electronic system to look at, and you can pay them to provide a paper copy.

Unbundled services may still be a wise choice.