Can I get a stipulation agreement for an uncontested divorce from the public archives?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I need to write a stipulation agreement for my uncontested divorce. Is there a way I can get a copy of divorce file from the public records office, and at least have a sample of something that I can draft for my own. I want to make sure the format the layout and correct wording are used to the first time.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Daniel Seth Williams


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You could, but I would be weary of any attorney that did NOT tell you to do so would be against their legal advice. If you have the time to go to the file room and look for one and copy it, then you should better utilize that time with the court self-help desk that can steer your case more properly as it relates to your case specific facts. Copying one from someone else's divorce is not advised because there may be clauses included or excluded that are unique to that case.

    After you are finished with the self-help, I would see if you can pay for an attorney to review it. It would me in your best interest to do so.

    Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and... more
  2. Regina Powers Hunter


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In theory you can. Consider the fact other variable may play a role.

    Gina Hunter

  3. Donald Frederick Conviser

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . What are the terms of your settlement? What you would write in a Stipulated Judgment (or MSA) would depend upon the specific terms of your settlement. Once you write down the terms of your settlement and review them with your spouse to ensure that they are agreed upon, you could hire an experienced Family Law Attorney on an Unbundled Services basis to prepare a Stipulated Judgment (which is preferable to an MSA because it cuts out an additional step) and a Judgment Package to be filed. If you can't afford a lawyer, go to your Court's Self-Help Clinic and obtain assistance from a Volunteer Lawyer.

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is... more
  4. Edna Carroll Straus

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You say "used to the first time"--this makes me think this may be a modification of an existing judgement. If it is, you may or may not need to see the existing wording. But yes, you can access your file. Take the case number (if possible) and go to the court and look it up. If it is not too old it will be in the electronic system to look at, and you can pay them to provide a paper copy.

    Unbundled services may still be a wise choice.

    Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Uncontested Divorce

An uncontested divorce is one in which spouses agree on relevant issues such as division of property, child custody/support, and alimony.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,170 answers this week

3,005 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,170 answers this week

3,005 attorneys answering