Can I Get A Social Security Number?

Asked about 2 years ago - Houston, TX

So im 16 and I came to the United States when I was 2. Me and my mother both had passports, but she decided to stay here and our passports expired. Im currently in high school, but I wanted to know if I can get a social security because I wanted to apply for some college information and they gave me free pre-college clasess, but I needed to sign up and they needed A SSN and is going to be hard to apply for college and financial aid.

1. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

2. Robert Kelvin Gruber

2

Answered . I do not handle immigration issues. I will defer to Mr. West's answer in this area.

To obtain a Social Security card you can apply at any Social Security Office. They will require if you are not a US citizen your current US immigrations documents ( forms I-551, I-94, or I-766, your foreign passport with biographical information and photograph. You can also call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213

3. Robert West

1

Answered . If you qualify for the new deferred action plan and receive a work permit you can obtain an ssn number.