Skip to main content

Can i get a restraining order on someone who is about to be released from prison?

Lady Lake, FL |

I was the victim of a burglary and was physically beat up. The man has been in prison for almost two years and is about be released. Since i know him very very well, and we have lived together before i wanted to know how to protect myself for when he gets out. He WILL come after me. I just know he will.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can file a petition for injunction for protection against domestic violence. If you lived together and he beat you up, you should be able to prevail - especially if you are fearful that you will be the victim again as soon as he is released.

You can go to the courthouse and they will be able to give you the injunction paperwork to fill out. There is no charge to file it.

Best of luck to you.

This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon for your particular case nor is it intended as legal advice. I have not reviewed your case nor have I met with you and the answer to this question does not in any manner whatsoever establish an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with Attorney Augen. File for an injunction.

Legal disclaimer: Ms. Braaten's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an family law attorney.


Have you made yourself part of the VINE network? If you have not, you need to. You can learn more by going to the Florida Department of Corrections website. Was no victim contact part of the sentence? He will probably be on probation for a few years, and it might be a good idea to ask the victim advocate at the local state attorney's office some of these questions.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,



Thank you for your feed back everyone. I am registered with VINE and have been since the beginning of this ordeal. He was ordered no victim contact, but i dont know if this will still apply after his release..i guess i need to call the states attorney office. I appreciate you taking the time to offer some good feedback!

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer