Can i get a restraining order on someone who is about to be released from prison?

Asked 9 months ago - Lady Lake, FL

I was the victim of a burglary and was physically beat up. The man has been in prison for almost two years and is about be released. Since i know him very very well, and we have lived together before i wanted to know how to protect myself for when he gets out. He WILL come after me. I just know he will.

1. Tami Lane Augen

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . You can file a petition for injunction for protection against domestic violence. If you lived together and he beat you up, you should be able to prevail - especially if you are fearful that you will be the victim again as soon as he is released.

You can go to the courthouse and they will be able to give you the injunction paperwork to fill out. There is no charge to file it.

Best of luck to you.

2. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

1

1

Answered . Have you made yourself part of the VINE network? If you have not, you need to. You can learn more by going to the Florida Department of Corrections website. Was no victim contact part of the sentence? He will probably be on probation for a few years, and it might be a good idea to ask the victim advocate at the local state attorney's office some of these questions.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,
  3. Arica Lynn Braaten

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Augen. File for an injunction.