Can I get a restraining order on a grandparent who is suspected of using heroin (again) to stay away from my grandchild?

Asked about 1 year ago - Riverside, CA

I was told by a third party that the grandparent was sold some recently. Also the grandchild's mother was allegedly doing the following drugs: Molly, ecstasy and marijuana. The child is with the mother and the father is up for false domestic violence charges. There is a domestic violence criminal restraining order on the father and the bottom line, it is all about her getting full custody of my grandchild. I want to file a restraining order on both mother and grandmother & get temporary, if not full custody of my grandchild ASAP.

1. Myra Chack Fleischer

1

Answered . Grandparent rights laws are very tricky and you must have significant evidence to be able to take custody away from a parent, I have recently had a grandparent rights case and the laws are very clear and difficult for the grandparent. It sounds like there is a lot going on so I would recommend that you speak to an attorney about the circumstances and see if you have grounds to get the restraining order and custody.

2. Maryam Atighechi

1

Answered . you need to go into dependency court, or even maybe family court, to terminate parental rights of the other parties and obtain full parental rights. This is going to be a difficult road. I would hire counsel. You cannot file a RO. I would contact DCFS for help.

3. Shannon Richards

Answered . I agree with my colleagues here - the road will be difficult for a grandparent in these circumstances. Not every problem can be dealt with in a legal manner, so you might want to consider other alternatives. If you change your perspective and become helpful to the mother and maternal grandmother rather than try to fight them, you might find yourself "babysitting" more often. This may allow you to help keep the kids as safe as you can, while still maintaining some contact. If you go the legal route they will likely cut off all contact with you and you will lose out on your grandchildren, at least until the father can work out the "false domestic violence charges". You should consider all the pros and cons of any given strategy, and you should have an experienced attorney to help you with that - before you do anything.