Can I get a refund on a USCIS application (GC condition removal) if I filed it twice (first was lost in the mail for 3 months) ?

Asked 10 months ago - Wayne, NJ

I sent my application to USCIS to remove the conditions on my green card in early May and had not received a receipt notice by mid June so I sent another one for which I got the receipt right away. Then in August, I finally received the receipt notice from the first application that I submitted. So now they got twice the $590 fee.
Any chance I can get a refund since I waited more than 30 days to file again and they told me to send the second application ?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Best Answer

Answered . Yes, if you manage to convince USCIS to refund the money. Good luck doing it.

2. Lloyd Evan Bennett

1

Answered . You can try to call USCIS and request it. If you fail there you can contact the USCIS's Ombudsman and request their assistance. The 751 is a very important application. If its not done correctly your case will be denied and you will be placed into removal proceedings. You should always consult an experienced immigration lawyer who would have been able to help without refiling the application. One should always hire an experienced immigration lawyer in these situations before flying solo. Your not saving money only risking your future.

3. Eric M. Mark

Pro

1

Answered . I wouldn't hold my breath, but you can try. You will probably need help from the ombudsman. I would be more concerned with getting the 751 approved, which is harder than you realize.

4. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . Unlikely.