Skip to main content

Can I get a refund on a USCIS application (GC condition removal) if I filed it twice (first was lost in the mail for 3 months) ?

Wayne, NJ |

I sent my application to USCIS to remove the conditions on my green card in early May and had not received a receipt notice by mid June so I sent another one for which I got the receipt right away. Then in August, I finally received the receipt notice from the first application that I submitted. So now they got twice the $590 fee.
Any chance I can get a refund since I waited more than 30 days to file again and they told me to send the second application ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, if you manage to convince USCIS to refund the money. Good luck doing it.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.



J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You can try to call USCIS and request it. If you fail there you can contact the USCIS's Ombudsman and request their assistance. The 751 is a very important application. If its not done correctly your case will be denied and you will be placed into removal proceedings. You should always consult an experienced immigration lawyer who would have been able to help without refiling the application. One should always hire an experienced immigration lawyer in these situations before flying solo. Your not saving money only risking your future.

Thank You, Lloyd Bennett, Esq. 4713 Bergenline Ave. Union City, NJ 07087 Concentrating in Immigration & Personal Injury Law phone 201 330 8883 Follow us on Facebook@ Law Office of Lloyd Bennett


I wouldn't hold my breath, but you can try. You will probably need help from the ombudsman. I would be more concerned with getting the 751 approved, which is harder than you realize.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer