Can I get a public defender for my divorce case?

Van Nuys, CA |
Filed under: Divorce

Hi, my name is Carlene.

Can you tell me the phone number for the public defenders office?

My divorce case has a court date of 5/5/09.

1. A. The public defender's office is in the phone book where you live.

B. You can't get a public defender for a divorce case. They are for criminal cases only.

2. Mr. Garner is correct, the Public Defender is only available for a criminal case, not family law. However, you may want to check at the courthouse, as many counties have an office that will assist people who are representing themselves in a family law case. Here in Orange County it is called the Family Law Facilitator's office.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.