Can I get a person's address through their DMV application to proceed with the next step to enforce a judgment against them?

Covina, CA |

DMV form INF70, indicates a persons address is confidential and can not be released. It says you can request information and use only for permissible use but will not release confidential information. Can I use this DMV form and request a persons address for permissible use to proceed with the next step so that I may enforce a judgment against these people? The form also says residence addresses can be released to (1) the subject of record; or (2) when a state or federal statute is provided by code name and section number which REQUIRES DMV to release residence addresses. I have both of these people's DL's numbers but that's all I have. In order to proceed I need to serve papers to them by sheriff or process server and all I have is a P.O. Box for them I need a real address.

Your post answers your own question. The DMV will only release addresses to the actual person, or when there is some law that requires them to do it. Attorneys can get that information in certain circumstances, but the one you describe is not usually one of them.
If you have their DL numbers, hire a private investigator to do a search for them. It does not cost that much, and depending on the value of your judgment, might be worth the expense.
Or hire a collections attorney. Most of them will collect a judgment on a contingency.

No, you cannot get someone's address from the DMV. After the death of actress Rebecca Schaeffer and the assault on Theresa Saldana, The Driver's Privacy Protection Act was enacted in 1994, which prevents the DMV from releasing private addresses.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes