Can i get a payment plan?

Newport Beach, CA |

i had a small car accident in my apartment complex and there was structural damage to the building. I have taken full responsibility, but have also requested a payment plan for all damage repair. Do they have the right to make me pay all repair costs at once? Or can i get a payment plan?

1. If you caused the damage and are at fault then you are responsible for paying for it. Nobody is required to accept a payment plan in lieu of the full amount of damages owed.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

2. If your landlord gets a judgment against you in small claims court, the court could order installment payments. Whether it does so is up to the judge's discretion, so don't count on it. Otherwise, as Ms. Peeples notes, your ability to get a payment plan depends on your landlord's mercy.