Can I get a paternity test?

Asked 7 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I am in the middle of a divorce and we have a 3 year old son. I just found out that my wife cheated on me around the time our son was conceived. I'm worried I may not be the father. Is there anything I can do? I've read something about a 2 year time limit to request a DNA test from birth but don't know if there is any other options.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Gregory Paul Benton

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Is your parentage being questioned? If not, don't worry about it. As long as you've been the "father" in the child's life, supported this child and held yourself out to be child's father, then the law recognizes you as the presumptive father even though DNA might show that some other person was just a sperm donor. If it is being contested, then show the court evidence that you supported the child, held yourself out to be the child's father and the mother also held you out to be the child's father, etc. Hope you have a good attorney to help you

  2. Wail Sarieh


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Before making a scene, you should obtain one of those over-the-counter DNA tests and make sure that you are not biologically linked to the child. If this is a case, contact an attorney to see what can be done.

    This response will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Sarieh Law Offices, and is not... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Child Support

Child support is the money paid from one parent to another for expenses resulting from the other parent’s custody of a child or children.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,558 answers this week

3,217 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,558 answers this week

3,217 attorneys answering