Skip to main content

Can i get a passport if ive been in prison

Kankakee, IL |

had a reckless homicide in 1991 did 4 yrs

Attorney Answers 2


Have you tried?

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Felons can usually get US-issued passports.

"Typically when you travel internationally you need to get a Visa. Sometimes you can get these at the border (on arrival) and sometimes you need to get them ahead of time. Keep in mind that when issuing a Visa the destination country can do a full background check and decide whether they want to allow you within their borders or not.

In other words, issuing a passport is the US's way of letting you leave the country, but it is entirely up to the destination country if they want to allow you in or not. You probably want to do some research on your target destination to find out how strict they are. Also, consider the nature of your crime - if you have been convicted of drug smuggling you probably aren't a great candidate for a trip to Colombia because they are particularly sensitive to these types of crime. "

Source: | For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.877.452.9457. Attorney James Regan, LL.M, Esq., is a Florida lawyer answering questions pro bono. Answering these consumer questions based on limited and unverified facts does not create an attorney-client relationship. Being posted on the internet, these questions and answers are not confidential. For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.800.452.9357.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics