Skip to main content

Can I get a no contest divorce filed by filling out the papers, notarizing it, faxing it, notarizing it, and then filing?

Kouts, IN |

I don't understand if I need to actually meet in person to get the necessary paperwork filled out, or if I can just fill it out, get it notarized, fax it to my spouse, have her do the same, and then file? We live rather far apart, so I am hoping to be able to do that rather than having to drive to the other side of the state to fill out some papers. We both live in indiana, and have no children, and have lived here for over a year.

Attorney Answers 2


Typically, the court needs originals. Most of the time, if the parties agree, you can sign the documents, notarize them, and MAIL the originals to your spouse's attorney for filing. Good luck.

This information is intended as general information only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship between me and the asker.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


Attorney Hamayel is correct that the court will most likely require only original signatures, not faxed copies. Other than that, you may be able to do everything by mail, particularly if you both agree on filing a waiver on the final hearing.

Advice on this forum is for informational purposes only and should never be mistaken as a substitute for legal advice. If you are in need of legal advice, you should consult local legal counsel.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics