Skip to main content

Can I get a new Re-entry permit ?

San Francisco, CA |

Green card holder since June 2004 (expiring in July 2014).
My wife and kids are US citizen.
I lost my job in 2008 crisis and started to work in abroad.
Traveling every 6-7 monts to the US.
My previous re-entry permit was issued in July 2008 and expired in July 2010.
Applied for a new one in 2011 when I was in the US but couldn't show up for biometric test.
I will travel back to the US and apply for a new one. I will stay and complete the whole process this time.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. If you get admitted to the U.S. as a permanent resident without any problem it should be an issue for you to obtain a reentry permit.

  2. yes you can get a reentry permit if you can show you have work overseas

  3. We all understand the concept of bad economy. However, the entire principle of LRP goes against your situation. You will be ok with this set up until one day, you will not be Reentry permit you can apply for, but it may or may not help preserving LPR status while working abroad. You should see if you accumulated enough time to seek cirizenship instead of playing with fire

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  4. Have you considered applying for naturalization if you have so far continued to maintain your residency and are married to a USC. Talk to an immigration attorney to see if you meet the requirements.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics