Can I get a modification if the other parent's living conditions changed?

Asked over 2 years ago - Houston, TX

I currently owe my ex-wife child support payments which are payable, but put a big dent in what I make/can afford. My ex however, has gotten a new job, which I know pays significantly more than her old one. My question is this: can I get a modification to the child support order if my ex’s life has made it easier for her to support the child even though my financial situation is (relatively) unchanged?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Answered . Unfortunately, in Texas, it doesn't matter what your ex makes, it only matters what you make. If your income hasn't changed, then support will not be modified.

    I practice in Tarrant, Dallas, Denton, Parker and Wise counties. I am licensed only in Texas. Answers are based... more
  2. Answered . As I understand TX child support laws, the custodial parent's income (here, your ex) is not a consideration in setting support amounts - your income is the sole criteria. So, you wouldn't get a modification just because her income has increased.

    We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to... more

Related Topics

Child support modification

Either parent can request modification of a child support order due to changes in circumstances, such as different income or major changes in the child's needs.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now