Can I get a modification if the other parent's living conditions changed?

Houston, TX |

I currently owe my ex-wife child support payments which are payable, but put a big dent in what I make/can afford. My ex however, has gotten a new job, which I know pays significantly more than her old one. My question is this: can I get a modification to the child support order if my ex’s life has made it easier for her to support the child even though my financial situation is (relatively) unchanged?

1. As I understand TX child support laws, the custodial parent's income (here, your ex) is not a consideration in setting support amounts - your income is the sole criteria. So, you wouldn't get a modification just because her income has increased.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

2. Unfortunately, in Texas, it doesn't matter what your ex makes, it only matters what you make. If your income hasn't changed, then support will not be modified.

I practice in Tarrant, Dallas, Denton, Parker and Wise counties. I am licensed only in Texas. Answers are based on current Texas law. This is for educational purposes only. This answer is given based on the facts provided above. Contact a local attorney to further discuss these issues. No attorney client relationship is established. These questions and answers are fully searchable and viewable on the internet.

Child support topics