Can I get a lawyer for police misconduct and sue the police department? What kind of lawyer work these types of case.

Asked about 1 year ago - Camden, AR

My boyfriend was walking down the street and was locked up for a crime he did not commit. The police says he was on camera but when he went to his first appearance there was no evidence. The police then changed the story and said someone called in saying he was trying to break in someone home and he was down the street talking to his friend. This has happened to him twice before. First bond 10,000 no evidence, second bond 20,000 and third bond that is now is 25,000 dollars and he is sitting in jail and about to lose his job. Could he get compensated for civil right damages because every time something goes on he is being locked up and never goes to court and never gets any paper work for the crime he is been charged for. He doesn't have any money to pay a lawyer but he wants to sue.

My boyfriend has been sitting in jail and there is no air. The jail is nasty and disgusting. This man is sitting in jail for nothing, He walked down the street over his friend house and when he went back home the police searched him and locked him up stating they had a call about a break in and he was no where near the scene. At first they lied and said he was on camera now they saying someone called in. Something is fishy here. The law doesn't state that no man or woman can not walk down the street. I'm tired of these police officers getting away with things in my town. Everyone is afraid to speak up. Do I need to contact Internal Affairs. I need some advice.

1. Alexander Mchenry Memmen

1

Best Answer

Answered . First, your boyfriend needs a criminal defense attorney to defend his case. If and when he is acquitted or the charges are dropped, he MIGHT have a civil suit. I recommend focusing on proving his innocence first. Best of luck.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

1

Answered . Your BF is looking for a civil rights attorney. YOU have no standing to sue anyone. 'Standing' is a concept that boils down to this: only the person directly impacted can bring a suit. In what you described you are not directly impacted by the police actions, so you do not have standing to sue.

LOTS of info missing from your post---but let the AR civil rights attorney worry about getting that info.

Your BF can sue. Whether he has a chance of 'winning' depends on lots of facts not in your post. There is no way to predict whether he even has a case, on the spotty facts you posted.

3. Malosack Berjis

Answered . First and foremost--and, I hate to state the obvious--your boyfriend needs to fight these bogus charges, so that he can get out of jail. If he can't afford an attorney, then he can ask for a public defender. Then, he needs to find himself a competent civil rights to help him pursue any potential claim he may have.