Can I get a judgment vacated for an automobile insurance settlement?

Asked about 1 year ago - Bethesda, MD

I was involved in an auto accident in 2005. The other driver filed for damages in 2008. We went to trial in 2009. I did not prove that he hit me so he won for $5000 and the insurance company paid it promptly. It is now a judgment in my credit history until 2016. My credit is othewise great but this has cost me an opportunity to refinace my home and I've been denied other credit. This was not a credit failure. What can I do?

1. Scott R. Scherr

8

Answered . You should make sure that an Order of Satisfaction was filed in the case. This is a document filed with the court that will prove that the judgment was satisfied. If it has not been filed, you should contact the attorney that represented you in the case and get them to have the opposing attorney file an Order of Satisfaction.

You cannot get the judgment vacated. It is a final judgment.

2. Nathaniel Bryon Smith

Pro

7

Answered . contact your defense counsel who should have required plaintiff's counsel in the 2008 case to mark the court docket as settled and discontinued. it can be done now if the claim has been satisfied, and doing so will resolve the blemish that is hurting your credit.

Pro

4

Answered . Order of satisfaction