Can i get a judgement against my roommate for wrecking my uninsured car without permission?

Grand Rapids, MI |

I was out of the state when my roommate borrowed my car and crashed it into another moving vehicle. My car insurance had lapsed, and she was uninsured, as well. No one was injured, but the other vehicle's insurance is seeking damages for the vehicle, which was totaled out. Does the burden of proof fall on me to prove it was taken without my knowledge, being thousands of miles away, or does she have to prove that i gave her permission?

1. You may want to consult with an attorney and look into a tort called conversion. Use the AVVO search tool to find a qualified attorney in your area. Good Luck.

Communication through AVVO does not constitute legal representation. Representation by this law firm can only be established through a written agreement executed by both attorney and client. In the absence of such express representation agreement, this law firm does not represent the recipient or reader and no person or party should rely upon statements, opinions or advice contained herein.

2. Yes. If the car wasn't worth much, you can sue in small claims court, otherwise retain a local attorney.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

3. Did you file a police report?
    Your car was stolen;
    file a police report; sue roommate
    otherwise you could get into trouble
    for letting uinsured driver "use" your
    car.

THIS ANSWER IS PURELY FOR ACADEMIC DISCUSSION ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ANY TYPE OF LEGAL ADVICE OR LEGAL REPRESENTATION.