Can i get a judgement against my roommate for wrecking my uninsured car without permission?

I was out of the state when my roommate borrowed my car and crashed it into another moving vehicle. My car insurance had lapsed, and she was uninsured, as well. No one was injured, but the other vehicle's insurance is seeking damages for the vehicle, which was totaled out. Does the burden of proof fall on me to prove it was taken without my knowledge, being thousands of miles away, or does she have to prove that i gave her permission?

Grand Rapids, MI -

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Yes. If the car wasn't worth much, you can sue in small claims court, otherwise retain a local attorney.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Sponsored Listing
James M. Osak

James M. Osak

Personal Injury Lawyer - Madison Heights, MI

Did you file a police report?
Your car was stolen;
file a police report; sue roommate
otherwise you could get into trouble
for letting uinsured driver "use" your
car.

Evan Matthew Oshan

Evan Matthew Oshan

Personal Injury Lawyer - Seattle, WA

You may want to consult with an attorney and look into a tort called conversion. Use the AVVO search tool to find a qualified attorney in your area. Good Luck.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.