Can I get a job with 3 misdemeanor DUIs?

Cleveland, OH |

I have 2 duis, one in 2004, another in 2010 and just got charged with another in 2012. .16, .12, .11 were the BAC. I have a bachelors degree and will have my masters degree in 5 months.

1. The answer to your question depends in most cases on the employment policies of the individual company or business you apply for, rather than one overarching law. You can probably count on not getting hired for a job that requires a lot of driving. Beyond that, if there is a specific industry or field you are interested in, then somebody may be able to give you a more specific answer.

@BangerterLaw

2. As long as you are not incarcerated, I'm sure you can get a job. The bigger question is; will you be able to get a job that doesn't involve asking "Would you like fries with that?"

You question is clearly dependant on what type of job you are looking for. I suspect there are many employers who may not mind the criminal record, but some may perceive multiple convictions as an indicator that you have a substance dependency problem.

I would get an aggressive OVI lawyer immediately to try to keep the recent charge from becoming a conviction. Mark Gardner and Ken Bossin are the top OVI lawyers in the Cleveland area.

3. That depends on what type of job you are trying to acquire, and the company where you are applying. Many companies won't hire anyone with a criminal record of any type because they feel it speaks to one's lack of judgement and/or character. Other companies don't really care what you do in your personal time as long as you show up and do the job assigned.

Obviously, It's definitely better to have a clean record, but you have to live with your past decisions. Worst case, apply for the job and you may get turned down. No reason not to apply.

I am an attorney licensed to practice in Texas, Louisiana and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and the above may not be an accurate assessment of the laws for your area. The above should be taken as general guidance and not specific legal advice. For specific legal advice you should seek a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction practicing in the area specific to your issue. The above does not constitute or establish an attorney client relationship. If you wish to receive specific advice about your legal issue, then contact my office to schedule a personal consultation.

4. The answer will almost always depend on the actual employer and their hiring practices. Obviously, due your criminal history, it will put you at a disadvantage to someone with equal credentials and a clean history. I always tell my clients to be honest and straightforward bc you can bet that if you lie and they catch it that you're application will be filed in the trash.

5. Given two candidates with nearly the same qualifications, which would an employer want to hire? People would look at your history and wonder if you have a chronic drinking problem. DUIs are often a symptom of a problem. Two important things I would recommend is get a good DUI attorney from up your way, like Mark Gardner or Ken Bossin and don't get the 3rd conviction. Second, get an alcohol evaluation and follow their recommendations. If you have completed a program and are staying sober, your job prospects will greatly improve. Would an employer rather hire someone who has a drinking problem that they are/have addressed/ing or someone who has the same problem and hasn't been caught yet? Not getting the third conviction would be good start and can only be done before you are convicted. The program you can do anytime.

6. Legally, of course you can get a job, however, would YOU hire YOU ? If I did a background check on you and saw this history, I would doubtfully hire you. Now, I am not sure if I believe "alcoholism" is a disease or a decision people make, but I would argue that either way it sounds as if you may have an issue with alcohol. I would strongly suggest that you find help, be it inpatient or out, be it AA, or what ever works for you. IF you can tell an employer out of the gate, I have a history with alcohol abuse, however I have sought help, had treatment, attend AA X times a week, and I have not had a drink in X days, well then MAYBE you are hire-able. You are asking an employer to TRUST that you will not be a problem or have problems on the job. You have to own your mistakes and solve the problem at the core.

An employer may understand the need an desire to drink, however, how do you explain getting in a car and driving. If you got tagged once, then again in 2010, how can you explain your actions in 2012. Luckily there was no accident and no one died.

I do not mean to point fingers, but you need to own this and cure this before worse things start happening.

Good luck with employment. Good luck with recovery.

The above information is not, nor intend to be, legal advice. You SHOULD consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Based on this response no attorney-client relationship has been formed. If your matter is in Cuyahoga County or surrounding counties, we invite you to contact us. Please visit our website at www.kirnerandboldt.com. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until such time and attorney-client relationship is formed. Attorneys in this firm are only licensed to practice in the state of Ohio and have no specific information as to the laws and rules of other states and none of the information provided is intended to be applied to the laws of other states.

7. If you are not applying to be a school bus driver or a police officer, three DUIs should not prevent you from getting a job. Seriously, you should be trying to do something, like rehabilitation or at least AA. The reason for that is that a potential employer may be concerned that three DUI's shows you have an alcohol problem. By dealing with that issue, you give them reason to believe you are not going to be a problem for them. Do not bother trying to apply for jobs where you will have to drive a company car or be on the company insurance. Three DUIs will make than nearly impossible.

Any comments offered are not intended as legal advice. This attorney does not know the specifics of the particular case sufficiently to offer legal advice. You should hire a lawyer who can evaluate the details of your specific situation before offering advice. If you wish specific help in any criminal case in San Diego, contact www.sandiegodefenders.com for a free consultation. For help with any criminal case in Los Angeles County or the surrounding areas contact www.dslosangelescriminallawyer.com

8. Most jobs, especially those that you will be applying for with a master's degree, will ask about criminal convictions in the application interview process. The bigger issue is the fact that multiple DUI convictions will lead employers to believe that you have an alcohol problem. In New York, where I practice, alcohol screening/assessment is a routine part of most DWI cases and judges almost always require them very early on in the process. Getting an alcohol screening/assessment, and following up with the recommendations of that assessment, which may include extended alcohol counseling, shows the judge that you are serious about addressing these issues.

I am an attorney licensed to practice law in New York State and the District of Columbia. My firm regularly handles DWI and criminal defense cases, as well as serious personal injury and divorce matters. Feel free to check out my web site at www.rossilawfirm.com or contact me at (716) 854-5555 or via email at nmrossilaw@me.com. The above answer is based on New York law and is posted for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it create any attorney-client privilege between the individual asking the question and myself or anyone affiliated with my office.

DUI topics