Can I get a job as a medical resident in the US if i have A12

Asked over 2 years ago - Washington, DC

I live in US, have an A12 work permit, i'm a medical doctor in my country of origin, studied and pass the medical boards in US, i want to apply for medical residency, and i dont know if the hospitals hire doctors with that status.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Gen Kimura

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You would like to ask the question to hospitals.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.... more
  2. M Yehuda Handler

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . You need to apply for an I-765 employment authorization.

  3. Marc Damien Sean Taylor


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I agree with Ken, you should contact a hospital.

    Good luck.

    Marc Taylor, Esq.

  4. Toni Maschler

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Getting residencies is very competitive. Unless the application specifically asks for your status, I would not bring it up other than to say you are authorized to work in the U.S. and not limited to any particular employer. [Why give them reasons to potentially rule you out due to concern that your status may not be extended?]

    This general information does not establish any attorney-client relationship. There may well be factors not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,264 answers this week

2,896 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,264 answers this week

2,896 attorneys answering