Can I get a J1 waiver now?

Asked about 1 year ago - Bowling Green, OH

I was a foreign exchange student on a J1 visa in 2009 and subject to the 2 year residency requirement because the program was fully funded by the US Department of State. I am an F1 student now and come back home for holidays. I still have 8 months left on the residency. I will be starting my Masters AUG 13, and not sure if I can finish these 8 months. I might be able to get a NOS, so should I apply for the waiver now or wait until I get an actual job offer versus merely being a graduate student? Also, when I do come back home on holidays, do these count toward the residency? How do i prove that I have completed a year 4 months?

I am not currently on a J1. I am currently studying in the United States on an F1 visa, which was paid in full by my parents. Also, the U.S. Department of State was the Program Sponsor in 2009, but it is no longer the Sponsor for the Program in which I was a foreign exchange.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . With 8 months left on the completion of your HHR, I would not do the waiver.

2. Alena Shautsova

Pro

4

Answered . You need to consult with an attorney as to your possibilities: they depend on your occupation; family situation, country of origin, etc.

3. Lynne Rogers Feldman

3

Answered . Burden is on you to prove the requisite two years overseas with passport stamps, rental contracts, employment contracts, etc. I owuld not recommend getting the waiver until you know what you are doing. Onc eyou obtin the waiver you will not be able to extend the J-1 if that is what you decide to do.
    --
    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

4. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

Answered . To obtain a waiver may take you 8 months. I may be simpler and possibly faster to complete the remaining 8 months of the two years outside the US.

216.861.4414
    immigration@rbrownllc.com
    www.brown-immigration.com

Robert Brown LLC
    1476 W. 9th Street, Suite 800
    Cleveland, Ohio 44113