Skip to main content

Can i get a interim employment authorization card even if i made a mistake?

San Bernardino, CA |

its been 5 month already and i haven't got my ead card based on a pending asylum case so i think i made a mistake on the categories im (a)8 and i applied for (c)5 so i know its not gonna be approved but can i get one before i request a change of category

Attorney Answers 3


No, you may not.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |

Mark as helpful


You cannot change the system. It has been working for years and proved itself sufficiently effective - at least arguably. Anyway, what you can do, is to hire an experienced immigraiton attorney and soon. Asylum is one of the most difficult areas of immigration law and one where many sharks operate and unauthorized practice of law happens. That is to say two things: 1. It is very difficult if not impossible to successfully present an asylum claim without competent assistance of an immigration attorney well experienced in asylum law. 2. Depending on a venue, there are manifold individuals out there, more numerous than in any other area of immigration law, who purport to offer services to potential refugees for a fee and either pose as attorneys and thus engage in outright fraud or try to convince applicants that the attorneys are two expensive and not necessary and often push applicants to commit fraud to “enforce” their claims. Beware of such personalities and try to seek out legal help from a licensed, experienced and competent immigration attorney. Remember: frivolous, that is deliberately fabricated asylum application may result in many troubles including complete ineligibility for life for any immigration benefits including immigrant status though bona fide marriage to USC or by petition of USC child over the ager of 21.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


What makes you think that you are "a(8)?" Pending asylum EAD's can be issued under c(8) and granted cases under a(5). You definitely should consider consulting an attorney to determine whether refilling your EAD application and continuing to prosecute your asylum request.

Mark as helpful

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics