Can I get a guardianship transferred from NC to FL? I f yes, is this difficult and time consuming?

Asked about 1 year ago - Kissimmee, FL

I am the custodian for my grandchild. I was also appointed guardian of the person for my grandchild after the death of her mother. a NC lawyer was appointed guardian of the estate (financial).
Fl is the home state of the child and has been since early 2011. I would like to have this guardianship case transferred to FL, as the financial guardian is difficult for me to communicate with, I do not think he puts the best interest of the child first, and we live in FL, so when my grandchild turns 18, this would be more convenient for her.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Barry A. Stein


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It stars in NC. Contact the attorney who is guardian of the Estate and find out from him what is needed in NC. The paperwork in Florida is routine, but you will have to pay for that and there will be yearly accountings that have to be paid as well. Those monies typically come out of the guardianship funds.

    The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual... more
  2. Stephanie Sauer Woods


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The guardianship is supposed to be where the minor child resides. So if she is now living in FL, then you need to move guardianship to FL.
    You will need to establish a guardianship here and then have the NC guardianship transferred to the FL guardianship.
    In FL, a guardian must be represented by an attorney. So you need to meet with a guardianship attorney to get this going.

  3. William Charles Rosenfelt

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. It is quite possible to "move" the guardianship to Florida but it will cost money and take some time. How much time it takes is a function of how well the parties work together under the circumstances. I do work on cases such as these and would be happy to speak with you at your convenience. Please feel free to contact me at 321-972-9327. Good luck, Bill Rosenfelt

    Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the... more
  4. Robert Jason De Groot


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In Florida, you might be able to get temporary custody by extended family instead of going the whole guardianship route. Contact the lawyer in NC to find out if the guardianship of the person can be moved, or perhaps dismissed up there because you can do another procedure here.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239
  5. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The transfer ic usually a straight forward process.
    You will need court approval to move the child.
    We offer free consults and two offices in Polk county.

    Attorney Joe Pippen

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now