Skip to main content

Can I get a green card if my husband (the petitioner) has filed for divorce before the green card process was completed?

Portland, OR |

I am a Canadian citizen and married my husband (a U.S. citizen) 32 years ago. 9 years ago he filed the I-130 but never finished the process (because he never paid the filing fee) and now he is divorcing me. What are my chances to adjust my status now?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. If he did not pay the fee, I -130 is not even filed. It is not just incomplete, it is simply not filed.

    if he is divorcing you, then he should not even file I-130 for you.

    Your chances to adjust status based on marriage are nil.

    You should consult an attorney in your area or any immigration attorney on phone to get the advise.

  2. When the I-130 was mailed to INS, did you or him receive a receipt. Often times, people in divorce proceedings will claim the application was never completed etc.... You can contact USCIS to determine if a petition has even been filed for you. Also, an approved I-130 does nor automatically give you teh right to adjust. It only confirms the relationship exists. If you are devorced, the I-130 petition of your "ex" husband would not be the correct current status. You should contact an immigration attorney who can assist you as to what options if any you have. Good luck.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics