Skip to main content

Can i get a fiance visa for an arranged marriage if there is a common practice of arranged marriage in India? FYI i am 21.

Chicago, IL |

I have an arranged marriage set with a girl, but i would like to marry her in the united states, she is in india and i am a US citizen, we have been communicating via email, and i spoke to USCIS and they said i have to have a statement from an official or i can submit my own written affadavit. My question is, that in India, and islamically it is a common practice for arranged marriages to happen, would i qualify for the exception that the USCIS has set in place for arranged marriages? Also, it would interrupt my job and my school semester if i was to take a break and go to india to visit her, would that cause an undue hardship? i have not met her in the past 2 years. However, i have photos of my sister amd mom there during my engagement overseas. Any clarification/guidance would be great.

I dont plan on getting married there. I also have pictures of her being the life of the engagement party and everyone putting flowers on her etc, as well as my mom and my grandpa giving putting a ring on her finger. I also have receipts for a diamond ring ive bought and ive sent a gift to her, i have emails that we have been exchanging as well.

Attorney Answers 1


An arranged marriage will usually be accepted for immigration purposes as long as it is:
1. Bona fide marriage (in good faith) - no intent to defraud immigration;and
2. The marriage is not against public policy - for example bigamy situation (more than one spouse);
There are also few other factors and issues to be taken into consideration. Speaking to an immigration attorney will make things easier.
As for the fiancee visa, without meeting her in the past two years, it might be hard to get a K1 visa. And eventually you will need to get there to get married. Proxy marriage are not really accepted.
You might want to read the article on our website "Love Marriage and the Green Card!" See attached, it will have most of your answers.

Good Luck

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics