Can i get a felony Dui dropped to misdemeanor?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Buckhannon, WV

Ive had priors but i think they are off my record 13 & 17 years ago. I got a 1st offense Dui in 2010 so how can i be charged for third? They are saying i got one in 2005 but there is no evidence of it!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . In assessing whether the prosecuting authority can enhance a DUI 1st up to a DUI 2nd, 3rd or subsequent, the law in West Virginia is what we call a "10 year look back rule," which means you go back 10 years from the instant offense/arrest date. Only DUI convictions with an arrest date within that 10 year period can be attempted by a prosecuting authority to enhance the instant DUI arrest up to a more serious charge. So, if your prior DUI arrests occured greater than 10 years from the arrest date of your instant case, you have solid grounds for a motion to dismiss. Keeping in mind of course, that the State can seek to amend/re-file the case with the appropriate charge. Sincerely, Harley O. Wagner, Esq. - West Virginia DUI Defense Attorney -

  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . HIRE A LAWYER

  3. Answered . You need to hire an attorney in WV that knows both the criminal and DMV aspects of this charge. I'd recommend either Harley Wagner in Martinsburg, WV or Carter Zerbe in Charleston, WV. There is also an attorney in Union, WV that seems very proficient in DUI practice, but his name escapes me.

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Felony DUI

A felony DUI is a much more serious offense than a misdemeanor DUI and it will carry steeper penalties in the event of conviction.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,528 answers this week

3,571 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,528 answers this week

3,571 attorneys answering