Can I get a failure to appear fine for a traffic violation waived if I have extenuating circumstances?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I received a ticket for an illegal left turn. When I tried to pay via phone and internet, but the citing officer wrote down my birthdate wrong, which meant the computer system couldn't identify me. I went by the court to deal with it, but ended up waiting a long time and had to leave. I meant to go back, but my busy school schedule got in the way. I realized several weeks later that I hadn't paid the ticket. I hastily sent off a check, hoping that even with the wrong birthdate, they would still accept it. A week later I received a failure to appear notice with a bail set at $930.00.

Is there anyway of getting the late fees reduced? The initial ticket was $238

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Andrew Stephen Roberts


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Get an attorney to get hold lifted and fight ticket. Often times tickets can get dismissed or fines reduced with an attorney handling the matter.

    Andrew Roberts
    (818) 597-0633

  2. Seth Andrew Weinstein

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Mr. Roberts is completely correct. An attorney is well worth the cost to clear the FTA and negotiate the moving violation to a non point offense.

    Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131

    This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,872 answers this week

3,269 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,872 answers this week

3,269 attorneys answering