Can I get a DWI from when I was 17 off my record.

Asked about 1 year ago - Harker Heights, TX

I got a DWI in 2002 when I was 17. I pleaded guilty and at that time had to do nothing but pay fines. I got a 2nd one in 2009 but it finally went to court in 2011. I pleaded guilty to this one and had a year probation. Is it possible to get the 1st one removed or should I even try?

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

9

Answered . The only distinction I would make from my colleagues is to confirm that what you pled to when you were 17 was a DWI and not a DUI. A person under 21 can be given a class C DUI citation instead of a DWI. Even if you pled guilty to a DUI, if you were placed on deferred it can be expunged. If you're not sure what you pled to, consult a local defense attorney to look into the case for you.

2. James Richard Butler

Pro

8

Answered . Unfortunately the answer is no.. You now have two final convictions for DWI. If you are charged again, it will be a Felony.

3. Martin Ben Zimmerman

6

Answered . I am sorry that you were not properly informed. However any conviction in the State of Texas that occurred on or after January 1, 1984 is a PERMANENT conviction and CANNOT be erased or removed from your record for any reason.

Based on your question, I feel that should inform you that the probation you received for your second offense for DWI in 2011 means that if for ANY reason you are charged with DWI again in the State of Texas, the charge will be a felony level offense. DWI is a very serious matter and you need to be very careful due to your history.

Good luck,
    Martin Zimmerman

4. Gene Raymond Beaty

6

Answered . You cannot get it removed as a practical matter, although there are legal options to try if you have lots of money and an excellent lawyer. Unless Your case is an example of the tragedy of our DWI legal system. A young man gets a criminal record for life for a youthful indiscretion and, because of the 2d, you face the prospect of getting a felony on your record if you ever drink and drive again.