Can I get a DUI on a snowboard?

Irvine, CA |

It is common for people to consume alcohol while snowboarding and skii-ing. I am wondering if these 2 snow sports equate to a vehicle. If i had a 0.08 BAC while snowboarding at a mountain resort, would i be guilty of DUI?

Absolutely not. A DUI requires a vehicle - that is specifically defined in the Vehicle Code as something that is driven or drawn upon a highway, but excludes something moved exclusively by human power.

There may be other charges, but a DUI is NOT possible.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

2. No

Of course, every DUI case is different and you should consult an experienced DUI defense attorney in your area with questions regarding your specific case. It is always in your best interest to have a good DUI attorney represent you when you have been arrested for a DUI.

3. Not possible. A snowboard does not qualify as a vehicle per the California Vehicle Code.

4. No. When I was in college we were able to take skiing as a course to fulfill physical education requirements. People would drink beforehand. One of those taking this course got too drunk and skied right into a tree. He died as a result. I am telling you this to encourage you to be wise about how much you drink before snowboarding.

5. Does your snowboard have a motor attached? And do you ride it on a street? No? Ok, then you're safe.

Contributions on AVVO.com in no way create an attorney-client relationship nor are they intended to be relied upon as a course of action without having first consulted directly with an attorney, where the specific facts and circumstances of your case can be fully discussed.

6. No, but depending how intoxicated you get, you could get a drunk in public charge which is no way as bad as a DUI.

Any answer to questions is not meant to be con screwed as legal advise and no attorney client relationship has formed. In order for an attorney to give legal advise, The attorney would need to have an opportunity to ask specific questions from a full and complete disclosure of the underlying facts involved in the question asked.