Can I get a DUI on a snowboard?

Asked about 2 years ago - Irvine, CA

It is common for people to consume alcohol while snowboarding and skii-ing. I am wondering if these 2 snow sports equate to a vehicle. If i had a 0.08 BAC while snowboarding at a mountain resort, would i be guilty of DUI?

1. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

9

Best Answer

Answered . Absolutely not. A DUI requires a vehicle - that is specifically defined in the Vehicle Code as something that is driven or drawn upon a highway, but excludes something moved exclusively by human power.

There may be other charges, but a DUI is NOT possible.

2. Mark K Rosenfeld

9

Answered . No

3. Michael J Silveira

Pro

8

Answered . Not possible. A snowboard does not qualify as a vehicle per the California Vehicle Code.

4. Daniel C Grupenhagen

7

Answered . Does your snowboard have a motor attached? And do you ride it on a street? No? Ok, then you're safe.

5. Cherie Lynn Brenner

5

Answered . No, but depending how intoxicated you get, you could get a drunk in public charge which is no way as bad as a DUI.

6. Michael Lawrence Doyle

Pro

5

Answered . No. When I was in college we were able to take skiing as a course to fulfill physical education requirements. People would drink beforehand. One of those taking this course got too drunk and skied right into a tree. He died as a result. I am telling you this to encourage you to be wise about how much you drink before snowboarding.